Meeting Minutes - AGM 25/11/08
Friends of Handforth Station
Notes of AGM - 25/11/08
Venue: The Railway Inn, Handforth.
Mike Bishop - Chair (MB) Steve Nash - Treasurer (SN)
Andrew Backhouse (AB) Rob Sawyer - Secretary (RS)
Cllr. Burkhill (BB) John Moreton (JM)
Peter Mahler (PM)
Apologies received: Sue Bidwell, Robert Morton, Bob Barlow.
Another successful year with a number of achievements including:
- Cheshire Best Kept Station ACoRP Award
- Website and new logo launched. Thanks to Martin Jackson.
- Active involvement in Community Rail Partnership (CRP).
- Successful lobbying for timetable improvements.
- Erection of posts by Northern for European signs.
- Work towards creating disabled access to "down" platform with assistance from Survey Systems and Giffords and CCC.
- Award of grant from MBC for sleeper sculpture work.
- Receipt of grant from CRP for plants.
- Several work parties - in liaison with Handforth RESPECT including planting wildflower plugs provided by MBC
- Maintenance of garden by Rotary.
- Repair of flags/flagpoles.
- Artwork project for booking hall by Wilmslow Grange School.
- Donation of Railway Inn pub sign from Robinsons Brewery.
- Trip to York for event hosted by Northern Rail.
- Support for plans for model railway in Meriton Road Park.
MB thanked the various sponsors and supporters.
SN reported a bank balance of £899.06
Outlays included flag/flagpole repairs and "Underground" style sign.
Funding received this year included: £250 from ACoRP, £300 from the CRP, £100 from the Railway Inn (inc. £50 for purchase of the pub sign).
Funding to follow: £200 from the CRP, £800 grant from MBC for sculpture carving.
Proposal for RS to become a cheque signatory accepted by all.
Election of Committee
MB, SN and RS were re-elected. AB will take over as Information Officer. Thanks to John Bibby for his past work in this role.
Real Time Information - FOHS have put up the 0800 number that passengers can call for current train information. The group will lobby for screens and/or help-points. It was agreed, in principal, to make a small contribution towards station help-points if asked by the CRP.
Clock - Contour housing will permit a station clock on the side of their building near the down platform. MB looking into design/funding.
Smoking - MB to highlight smoking in waiting shelters to Northern.
Bins - Northern to be re-contacted re. lack of bins mid-platform. Litter near Footbridge - to be reported again to Network Rail.
School Visit - MB to facilitate station visit by Rainbow Pre-school.
Sculpture - MB/SN to chase Paul Noon for sculpture start-date.
Signs - Efforts will be made to obtain more foreign railway signs.